Sample Cover Letter for a Human Resources Manager Job
You Can Apply for a Job As an HR Manager Using This Sample As Your Guide
Need a sample cover letter that you can use as a guide when you apply for jobs as a Human Resources Manager? This sample cover letter follows the best practices and highlights the special qualifications of the applicant.
Currently, job search experts debate whether a cover letter is a necessary part of a job application. They argue that the resume and application are sufficient for an applicant to highlight their credentials.
Many recruiters don't have time to read cover letters anymore. Online applications may not allow you to post a cover letter or state that a cover letter is optional.
An effective cover letter allows applicants to spell out their special qualifications for a position. But, cover letters are becoming optional so use your best judgment as you apply for HR manager jobs.
Before you write a cover letter, review the employer's specifications in the job posting carefully. For best results, research the company so that you have a basic familiarity with what the organization does and the customers it serves before you write your cover letter.
Before You Write an HR Manager Cover Letter
This HR manager cover letter is an effective guide for the following reasons.
- The letter is addressed to a specific person, either the hiring manager or the Human Resources staff person who was identified in the job posting. If not available, a quick call to the company allows you to identify the appropriate person.
- You made it easy for the prospective employer to contact you by providing home phone and smartphone numbers and an email address.
- Name the specific position for which you are applying so the HR recruiter knows immediately for which position he or she is screening your cover letter and resume.
- The sample cover letter highlights the two most important items that qualify you for the position in the first paragraph. The employer does not have to connect the dots between the position advertised and your qualifications. (The recruiter may never get past the first paragraph either as recruiting has become so time-consuming.)
- Based on the traits, skills, experience, and values that the employer sought in the job posting, you have brought your qualifications to the employer's attention.
- Your letter refers to several points of experience on the enclosed resume that qualify you for the employer's open position.
- The sample cover letter ends with a quick summary of your qualifications and the value you can bring to the HR manager job.
- You provide salary requirements if the employer requested them in the job posting. (Yes, it may not seem fair, but withholding this information can make your application invalid.)
- The cover letter provides the potential employer with a positive sense of whom you are and what you value and could bring to his organization.
- You end the cover letter with a call to action to exhibit energy and a desire to move to the next step in the application process.
Sample Cover Letter to Apply for an HR Manager's Job
If you are emailing or mailing your application, use business letter style to format the cover letter. In an online application, you will paste this letter into any available space.
Name of Hiring Manager or HR Staff Member
Company City, State, Zip Code
Dear Mr. or Ms.
Hiring Manager or HR Staff (Use Last Name):
Your job posting for a Human Resources manager caught my attention because my HR management experience has been in a similar industry, so I am familiar with the challenges. In addition to leading the HR department, I am a strategic business partner in my current position and serve on the executive team.
My twelve years in HR as an assistant, then generalist, and now manager, have allowed me to grow and develop professionally and as a leader.
You are seeking an individual with a strong passion to innovate and drive for solutions. Since I started the HR department from scratch in my current organization and have led the adoption of all people processes, systems, policies, and procedures, I qualify. Personal accountability for results and my integrity are respected and unquestioned.
Your posting emphasizes an eagerness to learn and continually improve. I am active in the Society for Human Resources Management and regularly attend professional conferences. Even more importantly, I have fostered a learning organization in my current company.
I established a performance development and career planning process that utilizes both internal and external development opportunities for employees including mentoring, job-shadowing, team leadership, and training sessions.
I am most anxious to join an organization where HR is respected and where I can continue to provide input to the strategic business issues while implementing forward-thinking HR and talent management strategies. Your advertised position appears to fit my experience, accomplishments, and education. I have my PHR currently and plan to pursue my SPHR next as you requested.
I am relocating to your city in the next few weeks for family reasons and was excited to see your opening that so closely fits my current dream job. I am anxious to contribute to a new organization with the same energy, creativity, and commitment that I have brought to my past positions.
My exploration of your company website, my discussions with several of your current and former employees, and your reputation in the business community lead me to believe that we would also be a good cultural fit.
I will be in your city regularly over the next few weeks and would like the chance to interview with your team and get to know you. From everything that I can see as an applicant, we are potentially a solid team.
Innovation Enterprise, an Argyle company, and a leading producer of B2B conferences and events, is seeking an experienced Editor-in-Chief to lead our content strategy for inspiring and engaging business leaders around the globe.
Leading a team of 8, you’ll take full ownership of the creation of high-quality business journalism that solves our business audience’s problems. You will be external-facing and committed to building relationships with business influencers and consultancies.
Located in Central London, this position reports directly to the VP of Audience and Content, Argyle. The successful candidate will be well-rounded in building and executing a digital content strategy that consistently and reliably engages our audience and carves a unique position for IE in the market.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Deliver a unique content strategy that positions IE as the business problem solver for our key audience personas;
- Analyse and optimize performance of content; test new ideas and new approaches to increase audience engagement;
- Establish content partnerships with research bodies, external contributors, associations and media partners; lead the Innovation Council advisory boards to steer our product strategy;
- Implement a reporting framework that provides insight of emerging trends in business innovation;
- Work with internal teams in marketing, conference production and sales to ensure that content is aligned with our business objectives;
- Maintain a high standard for editorial content; develop new visual content formats for more engaging story-telling; on-the-job training around digital fundamentals such as SEO;
- Act as brand ambassador at live events; interview members of the community on-stage and on-camera; emcee events;
- Manage a team of content professionals to deliver on our strategy; retain and develop talent to ensure continuity and bench strength;
- Own the implementation of content marketing strategies that drive achievement of goals; train team members on digital marketing fundamentals;
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in B2B journalism; with at least three years in an Editor/management role;
- Proven track record of leading a high-performing digital content marketing operation;
- Well-rounded background in digital marketing techniques and tactics including SEM/SEO and social media;
- Proven history of testing and implementing cutting-edge, innovative content tactics and initiatives;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- At least 2 years managing a team of 3 or more;
- Bachelor’s or equivalent in journalism, marketing or a related field, or equivalent hands-on work experience;
- Strong preference for candidates with B2B marketing services experience;
- The ability to own and develop the content marketing strategy at a high-growth, fast-paced, fun and vibrant company;
- Competitive salary with quarterly metric-driven bonus;
- Generous paid time off with vacation, personal days, unlimited sick days, and summer Friday’s;
- Company perks including casual office/dress code, happy hours, holiday trips, and gym reimbursement.
The Argyle Group of companies provide our business clients with high-quality lead generation, sales acceleration and networking opportunities through our portfolio of 200 annual executive summits, bespoke research and lead generation services, and digital/print advertising. Clients look to us to enable lead generation and accelerated sales performance for their products and services. We service clients of all sizes from fresh start-ups to Fortune 100 enterprises. 99% of the Fortune 500 attended an Argyle event in 2016. Our brands include Argyle Executive Forum, Innovation Enterprise, CFO Publishing, and Proformative.
Share this job: